Air Conditioner Help

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Air Conditioner Help

Post by Brent »

Apparently the fan has died on the Dometic air conditioner in my coach this week end. I'm assuming, considering the age of the appliance, replacement rather than repair is the best option.

Any suggestions besides Dometic?

The coach is 23' RK. Since I live in Florida in any thoughts on going from a 13 to 15 BTU?

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Roger H

Re: Air Conditioner Help

Post by Roger H »

Actually, they are in fact repairable and you'd be surprised at how little the repair might cost compared to installing a new unit. I'd sure have it checked out and a repair estimate done first.

If the 13k did an adequate job in your 23RK (and it did in my '01 23RK) there's not much reason to go to a 15k btu either. i'd only do that if the 13k struggles to keep up with the heat and humidity.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks Roger, I'll check into it
Brent

Post by Brent »

Pulled the cover off the air conditioner. After checking I think it's the start capacitor. I'll put a new one in and see what happens.

It is disappointing to see all the debris in the air conditioner as I paid to have it serviced in April and it looks like the cover was never removed.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Brent wrote:Pulled the cover off the air conditioner. After checking I think it's the start capacitor. I'll put a new one in and see what happens.

It is disappointing to see all the debris in the air conditioner as I paid to have it serviced in April and it looks like the cover was never removed.
I had the starting capacitor blow out in the a/c on my Bigfoot last year... if that's all it is, you're in pretty good shape! I think I have an old bird nest in my rear A/C unit on my BF. I need to get up and pull that cover off and clean that out too. It doesn't take long to have them fill up it appears.
Brent

Post by Brent »

After replacing both capicators (the parts were about $65), it seems to be functioning OK.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Brent wrote:After replacing both capicators (the parts were about $65), it seems to be functioning OK.
That's a LOT cheaper than having to buy a new unit!
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Would someone post a photo or drawing showing these capacitors? Would be helpful to me and perhaps to others.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Brent

Post by Brent »

Dallas here is one I have on my phone.

This is the run capacitor - the start capacitor is next to it and slightly smaller. To get access I removed the cover on the air conditioner than removed an aluminum shield (about 10 inches square). Be careful the warning says one can get a serious shock or killed in the process (even if unplugged from power).

The air conditioner would just hum when started, but if I spun the fan by hand (BE CAREFUL) it would catch and run. Checking with a multimeter indicated both capacitors were bad.

NOTE: I'm told a capacitor maintains a charge even when disconnected and can give a serious shock. I have no real experience so would suggest advice from someone knowledgeable. I shorted them with a screwdriver.

Brent
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 7389 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”