Would like solar but

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ramblinbob

Would like solar but

Post by ramblinbob »

Would like to install a solar system on my roof but space seems limited to one panel, if I measured correctly. Panels are 47" x 22" and with the curves of my roof and other accessories there seems to be only room for one panel. Would like to keep them close to each other also. Perhaps if I removed the antenna which I do not use I may have the room for two. I intend to permanently mount these without any tilting feature. Has anyone mounted solar on a BF and if so what problems did you have if any besides space? Also has anyone removed antenna and what did you use to cover hole? TIA. Any recommendations appreciated as well. Photo's appreciated too. Bob
ramblinbob

Re: Would like solar but

Post by ramblinbob »

Forgot to mention this is a 24' RB model. Thanks!
stevek

Post by stevek »

What year? On my 2011, 22 foot,
I can make a "L"shape. Tho I haven't done it yet.
One 160 watt lengthwise on the drivers side, and a 100 watt sideways. Both Grape Solar from HD.
The "L" is around the Fantastic Fan. And have room for the antenna to fold down.

I ended up with 2 ea 100 watt, I hinged together I use as a portable. Both Grape Solar from HD.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I mounted two panels on the side of my coach that can be tilted or removed and set out in the sun. I also have a third panel permanently mounted to the luggage rack. This gives me a total of 385 watts.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

Jerseypete has a 2008 BF for sale here. 27 feet.
He says..."Comes with 2000W/4 roof panels/monitors/4 batt solar system."
Would like to see a picture of that.
Or do you think it was a misprint?

Tom... good ideas. I thought about "hinging/hanging" a removable 100 watt panel over my bathroom window base on what you did.
Steve
CA/OR border
ramblinbob

Post by ramblinbob »

Went back and remeasured I guess if I really want to I could get (4) 47 x 23 panels on if I remove antenna, but where would I walk when needed. Think I will go with 200 watts, 2 panels and if I need more to add them later. I like the idea of being able to walk on my roof when needed. Still thinking about this so no updates until after it's done which could be awhile.

Pretty ingenious with the panels on the side Tom. But don't want to try that myself. Thanks for the photo's.

Probably with go with a Renogy system they seem easy to install, but still have some more investigating to do.

Thanks all!
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

In my mind, a Honda 800 watts super quite generator would do more reliably and more cost effective job, charging batteries when needed. The entire fleet of NYC cart vendors uses them without disturbing anybody. Not to mention the generator on board. To me, installing solar panels kills the elegance of BF lines.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
jerseypete

Post by jerseypete »

Hey Bob and Steve, and anyone else interested. Yes I have 4 big solar panels on the roof of my 27' RB, with a 2000w inverter and 4 AMC 6v batteries. If you want to see the photos, check the files here on solar and you will find my post showing the setup.
AM Solar in Oregon worked with Bill at the factory to design and install, with wiring and monitors and controls.
Any questions ?
happy trails, jerseypete
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks. I think I found it.
This is your BF?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.13.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.13.42 PM.png (506.72 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
Steve
CA/OR border
jerseypete

Post by jerseypete »

That's it Steve
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

While ours was built with Fantastic Fan located in front of bathroom light, if you are willing to do roof surgery, fan cold be removed from front and located in rear. That clears free space for at least 300W solar.
This is not a recommendation!
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”