Do you use your fridge all year? How often do you defrost?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

cmeadows

Do you use your fridge all year? How often do you defrost?

Post by cmeadows »

I used to defrost the fridge after every trip. It was basically a cleanup operation after turning off the power after a trip. Then there was the need to turn on the fridge a day before we traveled again. It seemed a hassle to defrost the fridge after every trip and remember to turn it back on before the next outing.

For the last couple years we’ve been using the coach enough that we have been leaving the fridge on. It is nice to have it always on and functional. I don’t bother to defrost after every short trip and now shut it down to defrost it two or three times per year. Of course, this would not be necessary with a frost-free model.

While energy cost is a consideration with a cycling 300 watt electric element, I’ve not put a meter on it to see how much energy it uses in a day or week. Replacement cost for the fridge is one consideration. Energy cost plus heating element replacement cost is another possible consideration. These weighed against the convenience of always having a cold fridge ready to travel and not worrying about defrosting it after every trip.

A co-worker friend with a history in gas research told me that the best way to get the longest life out of an ammonia fridge is to never turn it off. The logic seems sound for the Midwest as rust on the coils is the most likely cause for a coolant leak. With the fridge always under power, the heat would keep the coils dry and prevent rust. What do you do with your fridge and how long does it set dormant between uses? Do you use your fridge all year? How often do you defrost your fridge?

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
bigdipper

Re: Do you use your fridge all year? How often do you defros

Post by bigdipper »

Norcold frig on our 2001 ran a defrost cycle automatically. At first I was worried that something was broken when it warmed up. Not sure about current Dometic although for up to a month frost accumulation has not been a problem.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
John S.

Post by John S. »

Yup I have been told the same thing to never turn it off. I turn mine off about once a year to defrost it. It lasted 10 years before the next owner had to replace it as I sold the BF last year at 9 years old.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Ralph, John, Thanks for the notes. I will keep the fridge on and defrost as needed. I replaced the propane burner a couple years ago but other than that it’s been trouble free. Maybe keeping it on will prolong its life a little. – Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”