Tire blow out

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bcope01

Re: Tire blow out

Post by bcope01 »

John S. wrote:Lots of times the tpms that screw onto the valve stem will leak there. I would take the tire off and take it to a tire shop and have them look it over and find the leak and then go back to ford.
John S. has a good point. If you have an external TPMS screwed onto the valve stem of that wheel, take it off and throw it is far as you can. If it was me, I'd take all of them off and throw them away.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Lmaniac7

Post by Lmaniac7 »

Ford dealership diagnosed the problem as leaking valve stem. Replaced same.

They also claim there is no TPMS. How is that possible? I thought it has been mandatory since 2008. I would think a vehicle of this size should have one.

I will look into the "Tire Safeguard Unit" Karl wrote about earlier in this thread.

Thanks all! 8)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Have you looked at your Ford owner's manual? It should discuss the TPMS if it is so equipped.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Here is some text from a wikipedia entry on TPMS:

The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007.

The link for the entire article is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pr ... ing_system

Also from this same article:

U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulations [14] only apply to vehicles under 10,000 pounds. For heavy duty vehicles (Classes 7 and 8, gross vehicle weight [GVW] greater than 26,000 pounds), most of the above-mentioned systems don't work well, requiring the development of other systems.

Our coaches are not light motor vehicles, so are not covered by the act. One is free to install one if desired, and there are threads on our site referencing them.

I am surprised it took your Ford dealer so long to detect the valve stem leak. We had a slow leak on one of our valve extenders on one of our rear duals that I found within minutes of mixing up a soap solution. If that had not found it, a local tire dealer had a dunk tank he would have used.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”