Internet via Verizon's Laptop Card

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray'n Mary

Internet via Verizon's Laptop Card

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Anyone have experience using Verizon's LAPTOP CARD for intenet/email (using one's own laptop, of course)?
It seems to be a new service in last year or so, and sounds like an option to look into.

It sends and receives data much like mobile phone does--via the usual microwave towers but on a separate frequency from phones. It's proported to give everywhere-access (with, uhhh, the usual blind spots and areas!)

Cost is approx $60/mo with 2-year commitment (includes free card). Or $80/mo with 1-year commitment, plus $50 or so for the card.

Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

I use one, mostly in Georgia. You get good download speeds around larger cities where they claim to have broadband. There, it is not as fast as a cable modem, but it is pretty fast. In other areas, it is about dial up speed. This is OK for receiving emails but not much else. Most of the areas where I get Verizon cell phone coverage, I get internet. I have downloaded emails inside state parks in some fairly remote areas in Georgia. All that said, I think it is worth the $60 per month.
BobPat

Post by BobPat »

We purchased the USB720 modem from Verizon when we left Ca. about 3 weeks ago. In Va. now and we had a connection the whole way accross country. You have 30 days to try it out, but I doubt you will be disappointed. The speed was great.
Roger H

an alternative...

Post by Roger H »

If you have a Motorola Verizon cell phone, there is software to manage the phone book called "Mobile Phone Tools". Along with MPT, and a standard USB cable, the phone will also install itself as a modem. The speeds are slow, about 14,400k, but adequate for checking email in remote locations where you can't get a WiFi signal on a Buffalo card. There's no extra monthly charge and you use your regular phone. I wouldn't advocate this setup for anything but checking email because of the download speeds. It may not be ideal, but it works.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Hike

Post by Hike »

I have been using the Verizon aircard for over two years now. Just took it on the Alaskan caravan and was able to log on at every RV park we stayed at in Alaska. Could not log in when we were in Canada because I do not have the international plan but it worked everywhere else. I use it to log into work once a week when I work from home and the speed is sufficient in a broadband area near a large city. Works great.
Mary Findlay

and another alternative

Post by Mary Findlay »

I needed to upgrade both my cell phone and my Palm Pilot organizer so I combined them into one unit with the Palm Treo and Cingular (now AT&T). I can get e-mail on the phone.....good way to screen or preview messages without hooking up the computer. For those e-mails that need a longer response than I want to type on an itsy bitsy keyboard, I can use the telephone as a modem with my computer. The 'data services' plan to get internet type service for either the phone or the lapcard are pretty much the same. The basic difference in the cost is the cost of the Treo but I just saw an offer where one was 'free' (probably only for new subscribers with a 2 year commitment). Both AT&T and Verizon offer either the Palm Treo or the Blackberry. I went with the Palm Treo only because the data conversion from my old Palm Pilot was handled automatically.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Adding to what Roger says about Verizon Mobile Office, we have been using the service for about two years. However instead of using it as just a modem, we use the 1xRTT service which is available if you have NationalAccess and is also free. The speeds are generally up to 144Kbps depending on total cell useage in a given area. We know for a fact that this works but only if you have an older phone like the LG VX6100,(built in firmware) I have a newer model the LG 8300 and it has to be programmed by Verizon (for $60.00 mo.) to work with this service. I was told by a Verizon tech that the 1xRTT service would work thru year 2010 at which time Verizon will probably phase it out for their broadband service. Verizon will tell you 1xRTT will NOT work in all states, but it does. The Mobile Office Kit sells for $25.00 to $40.00.
The only charges are useage fee's or minutes but is free on weekends or after 9:00PM a good alternative to spending $60.00 a month for a service you may only use a few months out of the year.
Steve

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobi ... /index.jsp

http://www.tech-faq.com/cdma-2000-1xrtt.shtml
John S.

Post by John S. »

I have used it for 4 years plus now. It works great in the bigger cities and smaller ones too that have evdo and there is Rev A now that is even faster. My DSL is 300 mbps and I got 100 MBPS outside of NYC and Williamsburg VA too. I have almost always hhad a connection where ever we are.
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

I have a 2005 Toshiba Laptop hooked up to my LG phone (2007). My current Verizon subscription is the National Access Unlimited cell phone svc with the data svc as a add on. It works great whenever we can get access to a tower. Sometimes in South Dakota and like places there are dead spots. I do have a Wilson Trucker Cell phone antenna and a booster in the rv which help in weaqker areas. Overall, its been very good service, especially in metropolitan areas. Can't complain at all.
Ray'n Mary

Internet Access

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Since asking my original question, I've run into more people who like the "air card" system (e.g., Verizon's USB720 modem).

But I'm going to hold off for a while. The $60-80 per month commitment still gives me pause (even tho I could probably save $30 of that by using it at home and dropping DSL).
I also want to see how the WiMAX system(s) develop, which are forecast to be available before too long.

FYI, Woodall's October e-newsletter has an in-depth article on this overall subject, and of WiMAX in particular.
http://www.woodalls.com/email/diamondne ... nding.html

Thanks to all who have joined into this discussion!
Ray
John S.

Post by John S. »

Just a side note, the WImax inititive has been pushed by sprint nextel and is because they do nto have a great data network. It is being supported by intel too. Now the bad news... the president ceo of sprint recently was forced to resign over costs and one of the biggies is the wimax inititive. I remains to be seen if it will come out as a viable alternative on schedule.

As to the air card I am writing this on it right now in a Keocyra router with 2 laptops hooked to the air card.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Here's an excellent source for current information: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Inte ... =255949796
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”