Powerstroke Diesel frame rail battery box UPDATED: 1/07/10

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Sam -- I sure would take the battery box down and inspect it and then but a good coat of paint on it -- you don't want it to fail when traveling down the road -- if it is rusty on the outside how is it on the inside? -- BobN
jlef123

rust preventive paint

Post by jlef123 »

I don't know if this will help you but when I recently spoke with Born Free's answer man, Kim, about rust on the bottom of the propane tank he suggested that I use a product called POR-15 to remediate it and prevent further problems. You can read about it on www.por15.com. I haven't tried it myself and can't attest to its effectiveness as I don't have the Motorhome yet but will be picking it up next month.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

FYI, the link above didn't work for me because there is a period (.) after com.

First I've heard of it, apparently made specifically for "heavily corroded battery trays."

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mark Ireland

Post by Mark Ireland »

"First I've heard of it, apparently made specifically for "heavily corroded battery trays."

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/ "

I've used POR15 on a badly rusted tailgate and it is great. They used to sell a sample pack which may provide all you need. It is not suitable for exposure to UV, but can be painted over.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Por 15 is used widely by Airstream owners to remediate rust on their frames and tongues. It's excellent stuff, nearly bullet-proof, and lasts nearly forever.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Bought two Motorcraft 850 CCA - 100 month warranty batte

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Sam,

This is one of those little chores that should be done with every battery change. Of course the auto shop rarely does it unless you ask and they'll likely want an hour of labor - at least. Caught early it takes just a couple of minutes and is good insurance. If you've not already done so, add a set of the red and green felt corrosion neutralizers to each battery at the terminals. They are very cheap and they work! They really help prevent corrosion and its the corrosion that starts the rust which left unchecked will continue to grow and grow like a cancer until major surgery is required.

In addition to your description I will usually mixed a little baking soda with water and pour or brush it around the compartment paying particular attention to any accumulated corrosion with a wire brush. Then rinse well and dry before painting with Rustoleum.

Mike

PS. Changing both batteries was the right thing to do. Since they are in parallel they should be as closely matched as possible in age and configuration to minimize internal current flows between the two batteries. They'll last longer.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”