chair removal

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

chair removal

Post by jobrien »

Driving home from the great Gettysburg rally, Maureen and I were discussing options to give us some more space in our 26RSB.

One option discussed was removing one or both of the swivel dinette chairs. If we remove one it would be the one closest to the entry door, since the other one would face the tv. If we remove both, we would replace it with a comfortable but small reclining/tilting chair and foot rest. It would not be fastened to the floor, so I know riding in it while travelling would be a no-no. I would secure it somehow while travelling.

I know the existing chairs are bolted through the floor and seem to be removable easy enough. Would the bolts also come out or are they welded in place? Our goal here is to give us some more floor space. Maybe then the dogs will stay on the floor instead of the couch. MAYBE!

Another thought was to make the rear bed narrower, and build a tall closet in the back, between the bathroom wall and the narrower bed. The goal here is to give her MORE space to hang HER clothes. As it is, the bed is too short and narrow for both of us anyway.

So I throw it out there to see if anyone has tried either of these mods, whether you think it would work or not, any unforseen obstacles, etc.

Thanks

John
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

My memory is sometimes faulty, but I seem to recall that Born Free sold for a while a model that had either a single bed or a 3/4 bed as an alternative in the RSB models. It may have been a 24 ft model. I don't recall what the space made available was used for, if anything. What I intend to say is that you could call Kim and see if he can help.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
MatthewKraft

Post by MatthewKraft »

We traveled with 3 small dogs that are litter box trained. I removed the swivel chair behind the passenger seat. The chair was a quick release, so it was very easy to remove. I built a simple wooden box to cover the mount and secured the litterbox to the wooden box. Sorry I don't have pictures. BUT, it worked very well and we were amazed at how much room it seemed to make by removing that one chair.
Current: 2008-RSB
Past: 1991-RSB, 2006-RSB, 2006-32RQ, Tiffin Allegro
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

MatthewKraft;

Thanks. I would want to remove the base also to have the floor as flat as possible. If the bolts that hold the base in place are welded, then I would probably use a piece of plywood to cover them. I don't think I would cut them out, since I may want to put the seat back in at some point.

I guess I'll email or call Kim next week to see what he says.

John
whemme

Post by whemme »

John,

If you crawl under your coach in the area of your Flexsteel captain's chairs I think you will find the 4 mounting bolts that go thru the composite floor material with nuts & washers on the bottom. It will take two to remove a chair base, one in the coach and one under the coach.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
liginbf

chair removal

Post by liginbf »

John, I have a 26rb and I removed the rear chair by the door and made a ottoman to replace the chair. The switch worked quite well, on my unit only had access to 2 of the bolts from under the coach,the other 2 are under a shield that runs the length of the frame, a hassle to remove. I just made a base and used the existing bolts for the ottoman. If you would like some pictures i will send them.

Regards
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Dennis;

A picture would be great. EIther post here, or send to me

jobrien @ verizon.net (no spaces of course)

I'm looking to gain more floor space, so probably wouldn't put an ottoman in, but would like to see the way it is.

Thanks

John
liginbf

chair removal

Post by liginbf »

John, here are the pictures, if you have any questions send a msg.

Regards
Attachments
DSCN0287.JPG
(36.86 KiB) Downloaded 2006 times
DSCN0288.JPG
DSCN0288.JPG (27.53 KiB) Viewed 12798 times
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Has anyone tried using barrel chairs, which are movable rather than the stationary chairs?

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
larryp7639

Re: chair removal

Post by larryp7639 »

jobrien wrote:Driving home from the great Gettysburg rally, Maureen and I were discussing options to give us some more space in our 26RSB.

One option discussed was removing one or both of the swivel dinette chairs. If we remove one it would be the one closest to the entry door, since the other one would face the tv. If we remove both, we would replace it with a comfortable but small reclining/tilting chair and foot rest. It would not be fastened to the floor, so I know riding in it while travelling would be a no-no. I would secure it somehow while travelling.

I know the existing chairs are bolted through the floor and seem to be removable easy enough. Would the bolts also come out or are they welded in place? Our goal here is to give us some more floor space. Maybe then the dogs will stay on the floor instead of the couch. MAYBE!

Another thought was to make the rear bed narrower, and build a tall closet in the back, between the bathroom wall and the narrower bed. The goal here is to give her MORE space to hang HER clothes. As it is, the bed is too short and narrow for both of us anyway.

So I throw it out there to see if anyone has tried either of these mods, whether you think it would work or not, any unforseen obstacles, etc.

Thanks

John
Thanks you for the post.
perleys

Re: chair removal

Post by perleys »

Hi Joe, I saw you old post and wondered if you had removed the one swivel chair and also build the closet back by the bed. Just got an 04, 26RSB and am exploring options for myself.
Thanks Sandy

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”