TV antenna replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

TV antenna replacement

Post by tomzleapin »

I'm going to install a Winegard Sensar antenna. I can use the existing rf amp and install an unamplified antenna or bypass the amp and use an antenna with built in amp.

What would be the best approach?

Thanks.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
liginbf

tv antenna replacement

Post by liginbf »

Tom,I just swapped out the antenna and used the orig wall plate and coax.The coax cable was in good shape and the new antenna works fine.There are at least 2 posts with step by step instructions w/pictures on the antenna swap.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Dennis,

My wall plate has a pre-amp in it. If I use the existing setup, I assume an unamplified antenna would be preferred. Sometimes too much amplification can be worse than not enough. My question is:

Which is better, antenna with amp and no wall plate amp, or antenna without amp and use the wall plate amp?

Thanks
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
liginbf

tv antenna replacement

Post by liginbf »

Tom, I used the winegard antenna w/out built in amp, I used the amp in wall plate and it worked fine. as to which is better,maybe a call to winegard would help.

regards
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Dennis,

I'm going to order up an unamplified unit. I already have a head with amp mounted on my pickup camper. If I feel ambitious enough when I get it I'll try to check both scenarios and see what happens.

Thanks
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”