How long owned

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TheBizMan

How long owned

Post by TheBizMan »

I'm a new owner and when I was deciding to buy, friends told me most people only keep a motorhome for a short time and then sell it. I'm planning on keeping this one for at least 10-15 years. How long have you had your current BF?
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

whemme

Post by whemme »

Our 1st Born Free was a new 1999 24' Rear Bath coach that we owned for 6 years. We then purchased a used 2002 26' Rear Side Bed coach in 2005 and have had it the 6 years since. Right now we anticipate keeping the 2002 coach for some time into the future. It currently has just under 70,000 miles on it and serves us well.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We bought our 2006 24RB new 5 years ago. It now has about 51500 miles on it. We intend to keep it several more years. I think some people like to trade their old unit in as the warranty expires. That way there is never a hassle about repairs being paid for. Everyone to their own taste.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
hrgermany

how long owned

Post by hrgermany »

I have a 1995 BF 26 Feet RSB that I bought 6 years ago.If it were not for the mirrors one can not tell how old it is.Looking at me is a lot easier.
I have no plans of selling it.

Hans Rueckert
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

There are many reasons why people change RV's. That is, moving from a pop-top trailer to a pull behind trailer, to a 5th wheel to a larger 5th wheel to a MH then downsizing to something like a Born Free.

For me to say I will keep my BF for 10-15 years, would mean that there is no way my plans and needs will change in that time.

We did keep and use a poptop trailer for about 20 years while the kids were growing up. It really served our needs during that time. Just before we retired we bought a 33' travel trailer, then a 34' 5th wheel, then 40' diesel pusher. Most of that time we were fulltiming then we bought a house near our two under 6 year old grands kids and downsized to a 26' BF. All RV's we bought have been used, except for the poptop. Each RV we bought we fully intended to keep longer than we did.

Bottom line: needs, wants & desires change with time.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

We owned our first MH for one year and liked RVing so much we decided to go full time and bought a four-year old DP which we kept for five years. We bought a park model in AZ and another house up north and a small travel trailer for going back and forth. We kept that one for ten years. I bought this BF in 2009.
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

Thank you for your responses.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Wanted to add my opinion.....I bought mine previously owned, in April of 2004....I've said it before & I'll say it again, for a solo female driver with absolutely no experience driving a RV....it was positively the best decision & purchase I've ever made. It is stored when not in use, in a close inside storage area...and is worth every $$ I spend monthly to have it there. I have no intentions of selling it in the near future (might keep it for my Grandkids) and after 7 years it still looks like new, runs like new & feels like new to me...Of course maintenance is done regularly & so is the detailing...Love my Bornfree. One of the things no one has noted here is this club for BF owners. I don't think (my 2 cents) you could easily find nicer people that share their experiences & knowledge freely to those of us that ask....and of course you have to consider the outstanding staff at the factory. Again....just my humble opinion............ 8)
lafons

How long

Post by lafons »

Well my first motorhome I drove for over 300,000 miles in just over 10years. This was a adventure liner and most people have never hear of them. I replaced the motor 3 times but everything else held up well. This was back in the 70's. I have owned a few in between but now have a 2001 rsb26 with 74,000 on it and dont see any reason to replace it anytime soon.I most recently put 14,000 miles on it going to Alaska last summer. I expect to keep it well past 100,000, likely the motor should last more like 200,000 miles or more today. I have a v10 and love it. :wink:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”