Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System

Post by Ray »

Not sure if this has been discussed before - I have trouble searching the posts.

I was wondering if anyone has tried these and what they thought - I think I saw someone with one at the BF Homecoming this last year.

Camping world has them on sale - not sure if its worth the cost, extra weight, or putting it up and down.

Thanks, Ray
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I have one and have used it many times on my previous motorhome. Have not had the need to use it on the BF yet. I do not carry it with me, unless I plan on using it.

They do work and come in handy for dry camping in close quarters.

Come to think of it, I have to check to see if I have the proper size adapters for the exhaust pipe on the BF. Never thought about it until you bought this up :oops:

Also have to look into how to support it. I had bungee cords that I was able to attach to the coach. Not sure where I would attach it on the BF. Something else to look at.

Thanks

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Ray, like John we have used the Gen-Turi on our last 4 coaches and have been very pleased with the system. I have at times ran the generator for 2 - 5 hours steady and could still put my hand on the exhaust stack, a good safety feature. As I already had an assist bar next to the drivers door I installed a small bracket next to the coach side window and used two bungy cords as stabilizers for the stack. (per picture) I believe FMCA requires exhaust extensions in order to run your generator at any of their functions.
Attachments
GenTuri 1.jpg
GenTuri 1.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 13256 times
Mel & Connie
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I used the easy way I bought an exhaust extension pipe and an elbow
from Pep Boys.That does the job for me.It was less than $15 Dollars.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I'm with Hans on this one. Seems $130-$180 is kind of expensive for an item that only redirects exhaust fumes. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Ray

Post by Ray »

Mel, John --- You both mention the bungee cords and I see them in Mels pic's (nice pic's thanks) are the only support points the bungee cords and where it connects to the exsisting generator exhaust? I would think this would put alot of downward weight on the generator exhaust and also pull the riser pipe up against the body of the rv as it runs up the side

Hans --- How did you connect and support yours?

I think its a good idea to get the exhaust up and over the rv - not sure of the support or if it lowers the running noise much

thanks, Ray
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Yes, it clamps to the gen exhaust pipe only. The bungee cords keep it from falling forward or backwards.

I never had an issue on my other motorhomes, but have not used it on the BF.

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Ray, per my picture I attached the two bungy cords high enough on the coach to put some upward pull to compensate for the additional weight of the exhaust stack. This has worked out well over the years.
Mel & Connie
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

One of the Gen Turis came with my rig. The PO said he had to buy it for a rally where it was required, and he hadn't used it since. It does take up some space in the underbed area.....
Is it for noise or exhaust? Is it to keep exhaust out of your own rig? Doesn't it just put it up on roof? What if you are using your AC? Wouldn't it then suck the exhaust in?
I guess I want advice whether to keep it....
whemme

Post by whemme »

The A/C in a Born Free does not bring in air from the outside. It circulates air from inside the coach thru the A/C then the cool air back into the coach.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

I didn't know that about the AC. Is this true of all RV roof air units?
Or is it only ones made by Carrier? Or are they set that way....?
So it's like the recirculate setting on the dash air?

Does the furnace brings in outside air?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Not sure if there are any roof mount A/C's than bring in outside air so I will say most do not bring in outside air cause I have never seen one that did. But that dosnt mean that they could not bring in outside air. The air is actualy pulled from the coach and goes up through the roof, through the A/C coil, and back down into the coach. So a cracked housing, bad seal, or other could let outside air in.

Which brings up a good point - may not be a good idea to use one of the exhaust tubes and your fantastic fan at the same time - that is if it is sucking air in.

The furnace draws in outside air but only for combustion - it pushs it all back out again unles there is a problem with the furnace - and then you carbon monoxide in the coach
whemme

Post by whemme »

My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach has the Dometic A/C. There are cleanable filters on both the left and right underside of the A/C unit inside the coach where air enters the A/C. It outlets the cooled air both on the front and backside of the A/C. If the A/C was using outside air, then those filters would have to be on the part of the A/C located on top of the coach.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Okay.... My Carrier AC also has filters inside the coach.
So if one is running AC and cooking fish........ One needs to use the exhaust fans.....?
whemme

Post by whemme »

Well, it does not matter if you have the A/C on or off. Whatever fish smell and smoke you generate in the coach stays in the coach unless you turn on some exhaust fans. Having the A/C on will not increase the smell and smoke since it is recirculating the existing air in the coach.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”