Solar Installs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tedelman

Solar Installs

Post by tedelman »

I mostly bookdock (no hook-ups). I just returned from a 7 mo stay in the desert of S. Ca. I do not have solar now but I'm going to get a system on my next trip out west. I'm thinking in Quartzsite,AZ (Discount Solar). I'd like to hear from you BF owners that already have had a system installed. Thanks in advance. :)
Tom e
'92 RB 26'
Webster,NY14580
hrgermany

solar installs

Post by hrgermany »

This is my third motorhome.The first thing I did was to install a solar cell
system.Luckely I can do this by myself and it cost me only the parts.I use
2 panels at 60 watts each.Most important is a good solar charge controller.
I use the solar boost 2000E from Blue Sky Energy Inc.I never had any problems with any of my systems.Better be lucky than good.
Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26RSB
purdum

solar panels

Post by purdum »

I have an 80 watt panel mounted on the roof of my 26 RSB with a controler and two golf cart batteries. Works very well, good forever with conservative use and sun, and about 4 days in rain. Also easy to install. PM for more.
tedelman

Solar Sources + more questions

Post by tedelman »

Thanks for the comebacks!

Can you guys offer any good leads on who to buy from?

Have you installed the solar panels in tilting panel frames mounted on your rigs or do you just set them out on the ground near your rigs ?

Where did you mount your boosters in your BFs?

PIC's would be of a lot of value to me.

Thanks,
Tom e
John S.

solar

Post by John S. »

I have nto put solar on the BF yet but did have it on gthe tilt mounts on the foretravel. I had 3 110 watt panels from am solar and a 22 amp mptt charger... It worked great and I will look for one for them when I figure out where to mount it on this unit. I am thinking of putting the charge contoller in the cabinet over the sink.
purdum

solar panel install

Post by purdum »

I bought my panel and controller at partsonsale.com. Found that they had the best prices and delivery was quick. I flat mounted a BP 80 watt panel across the front of the AC unit which allowed me to install a batwing antenna which lays down directly in front of the panel using the same hole as the Delta. It lays down across the unit, not fore and aft. works well. Anyway, use lots of dicor under and over the mounts. Wiring went down the refrig vent and then I drilled a small hole in the foward wall of refrig area into the hanging closet. I used the same black plastic conduit BF uses (buy it in auto supply stores) The controller is a power boost 2000E which I mounted on the foward wall of the closet facing the entryway. I then ran the wires directly down to the battery disconnect switch and hooked them to the battery side. I boxed the controller with matching oak and all wiring is in matching conduit. I had a 12 volt battery go bad so replaced them with Sams Club golf cart 6 volt batteries.
hrgermany

solar panel install

Post by hrgermany »

I found my solar panels and the solar charge contoller-solar boost 2000 E
on E-Bay.The best way is to mount the panels flat on the roof.I drilled a hole into the bathroom vent and pulled the wires through.I mounted the charge controler on the right side of the sink facing the sofa.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”